How about trying something new?
Vegetable Upma is an easy, nutritious and healthy South Indian breakfast recipe made with sooji and chopped vegetables. It’s kid friendly and is usually served with freshly ground coconut chutney. It’s best served hot with a cup of filter coffee.
Serves : 4 People
Cooking time : 20 Minutes
- 1, 1/2 cup roasted Sooji or Semolina
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal (split, skinless black gram)
- 1 teaspoon Chana Dal (split, skinless bengal gram)
- 8-10 Cashew nuts (optional)
- 2 Green Chilli, slit lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon grated Ginger
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped Carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped French Beans
- 2 sprigs of Curry Leaves
- 3 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Chopped Coriander for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and start frying. Once the seeds start crackling add urad dal, chana dal and cashew nuts. Lightly sauce them on medium flame till they are roasted and turn a golden brown.
- Add the green chilies, grated ginger and onion. Sauce till the onions turn translucent and add carrots, french beans and curry leaves.
- Stir fry the vegetables for a minute or so and add water. Bring it to a boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, lower the flame and start adding the sooji slowly while stirring continuously. Keep stirring as you add sooji to avoid any lumps in the upma. Once all the sooji has been added, stir in salt and cover for 2-3 minutes.
- The sooji should absorb the water, swell up and get cooked. Switch off the flame, mix in the coriander leaves and serve hot with coconut chutney.